It is with great excitement that I share this news. This past Wednesday, September 12 2018, in a live and online press conference coordinated with the local media in Japan, it was formally announced that my “English Weirdness” Youtube series is to be used as part of a revolutionary English curriculum at Sakata Minami high school in Yamagata, Japan. Its dedicated and innovative principal, Ms. Hiroko Nakahara, has undertaken to provide us a sponsorship arrangement that will allow me to make 10 new videos over the next year.
This is all very exciting because it will provide the funding needed to make the videos, as well as increase our exposure to a new audience. Sakata school is located on the north west coast of Japan, an area not necessarily know for its innovation. Nakahara-sensei’s approach to running her school, however, certainly is. She wants nothing less than to revolutionize the Japanese education system and “save the children,” as she says. She believes the current state of education is failing to prepare the students for life in the context of a globalized Japan, and I tend to agree with her. It is my sincere wish that my English Weirdness series can not only shed some light on the strange aspects of English learning, but also demonstrate and model a new style of learning, one in which both teacher and student are participants in the analysis.
Stayed tuned for the next episode of English Weirdness: “The Real Reason Nobody Can Live in Downtown (and its’ not what you think!)”
(English Weirdness, episode 2)
- English Weirdness, episode 3 - April 15, 2019
- An early work of short fiction: - March 7, 2019
- English Weirdness, episode 2 - March 6, 2019
- The Weirdness is Spreading - March 1, 2019
- Support the Weirdness! - February 12, 2019
- The Two Words That Turn Us Into Losers - November 24, 2018
- Mini-Lesson - November 11, 2018
- Remember What? - November 11, 2018
- English Weirdness Comes to Japan! - September 15, 2018
- Mishima, Nationalism, and an ESL Literary Mystery Human Board Game and Field Trip to Kinkakuji - July 29, 2018